August 10, 2012

In Search of Shade

My cats are ... idiots!

Despite the insane heat we've had this summer, they all still insist they go outside. Usually I will release them in the morning while I eat breakfast, then call them in until late afternoon if not early evening. We have two yards, one very small and wood-fenced, and the other is open with no fences with a creek and woods along the back.

Today, I had company so the cats got to enjoy their yard the whole morning, well past noon before I thought to bring them in. I stepped outside to meet 92 degree heat, which frankly is tame compared to the over 100 we've had this summer. I also keep a box fan running for Chauncie, who spends 99% of her time in the small yard.

Anyway, I stepped out, and found an empty yard. Knowing they had to be somewhere, I went in search. This is what I found:

Cookie, sleeping behind the sofa. He's been quite ill and I know he enjoys the heat because it helps clean out his stuffy nose. He was easy to find.

Ray transplanted wild bamboo along the patio several  years ago. Usually it has ants. Opie, however, seems to have made peace with them.

And finally...

Finding Herman took some time. Like I said, not many hiding places, but he managed to find one anyway beneath the hydrangea, scorched from the heat.

If you'd like to share photos of your cats and their unique hiding spots, I'd be happy to post them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi all you kitties! We sees you hiding! We were out in the blogosphere and we found you. We're from Michigan too! Come visit us sometime.

    Harry, Dexter and Tipp
    Cherry City Kitties

    ReplyDelete