March 12, 2013

Sandra Dee Paper Dolls

I love memorabilia from my childhood. When I saw these paper dolls in a Michigan antique store (paid $4.50), I was instantly transported back to the times I would cut out the clothes using plastic safety scissors...usually snipping off a tag or sometimes a part of the clothes.

I don't recall watching Sandra Dee movies as a child, but in my teens she was a favorite. Gidget, Tammy Tyree  (in Tammy Tell Me True and Tammy and the Doctor), Molly in A Summer Place, and Mollie in Take Her, She's Mine! And Chantal in my all time favorite - If A Man Answers with her husband, Bobby Darin.

 In 1959, the year these paper dolls were made, Sandra Dee was 17, the year of A Summer Place. The clothes -- there has to be two dozen in the folder --  are super fragile with age, but they have maintained pretty good color and the dolls are in near excellent condition.





Were you a fan of Sandra Dee? If so, which of her movies was your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. Oh you have just taken me back too. I have the same memories. Loved seeing this and reading your blog. So good to meet you. 5463

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie. Paper dolls filled my childhood. Remember accidentally cutting off the wrong tab? Ack!

      Delete
  2. those are classic! Where in Michigan did you find them? (I live 34 miles north of Detroit)...I used to LOVE Sally Fields as Gidget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caren! Thanks for stopping by. I found them in my childhood home town of St Clair Shores at an antique store on Harper. I also found about 20 Life magazines from the 1940s in fabulous condition. I bought them all. My husband loves to read about WWII. I was also a huge Gidget fan. In fact, I named one of my current cats, Gidget.

      Delete